Dick has been an intricate member of the Truro Rugby Club since the 70's. Over those years he has worn many hats: as a player, director or on the executive, and has been a leading force in shaping the club to what it is today. He is currently the head of our Field Maintenance Department at our clubhouse, and ensures, with four other grounds crew, that our 17 acres of grounds are always in pristine order. Whether you show up at the club on a Tuesday evening, or a Saturday afternoon, Dick will be there mowing the grass, or firing up the BBQ, or cheering on The Club....Dick has been and continues to be a huge influence on players and members and he embodies the true spirit of the game of Rugby.
President Truro Rugby Club
10 Questions for Dick ...
1. How and when did your rugby begin?- I was a Rotary International Exchange Student from June 1966 to June 1967 and spent the year at Audenshaw Grammar School near Manchester, England. This was my introduction to Rugby Union Football and I have been involved ever since. The school had five teams with players from 11 to 18 years of age. I played with the forwards for the school's second fifteen which was made up of 15 & 16 year olds. Audenshaw Grammar School has a long rugby history and has produced several players for England.
2. What teams / clubs have you played for?
- I had the pleasure to play for Cornell University (1968-69), University of Hawaii (1971-72) and Dalhousie University (1972-73). My involvement with the Truro Rugby Club began in 1976 and has included player, coach, administrator and currently with the Grounds Maintenance & Turf Management Division at Farnham Mill Rugby Park.
3. What is your favorite thing about rugby? - My favorite thing about rugby is the loyalty and lasting friendships.
4. What are your favorite and least favorite positions to play? - My favorite position is No. 8 and least favorite is Prop.
5. Other than your club, what club would you like to play for? - I would love to have played for any club in the United Kingdom.
6. What club do you most like to play against and why?
- Back in the 70's Truro and Pictou County had an intense rivalry. They were always tough and we had to muster our players whenever we met. However, the best parties were in Cape Breton!
7. What is your highlight ,so far, with rugby? - My rugby highlight is seeing both of my sons play the game.
8.What would be your dream road trip? - I always thought it would be great to tour Bermuda or any of the Caribbean Islands.
9. What other sports do you play? - I grew up in the USA playing American football and basketball. I was also quite a gifted square dancer with our local 4-H club back in the 60's.
10. What is the one thing that Rugby Nova Scotia could improve on? - I would like to see Rugby Nova Scotia hold more events at Farnham Mill Rugby Park.